October 28-29, 2017: Joining us from Denver for a very special workshop during our October Blue Note (Hallowe’en weekend!), we have Cierra Ruffin!
This weekend will include 6 hours of special classes, a Saturday night dance, and optional outings to breweries and live music before and after.
- Date: October 28-29, 2017
- Times: 12:30pm-4:30pm each day – with wiggle room for checking in, breaks between classes, and questions
- Class length: 1.5 hour classes (4 total, 2 per day)
- Full workshop (includes Saturday night dance): $70 presale, $80 at the door
- Single-day classes: 2 classes per day • $36 presale, $40 at the door
- Individual class: $20
- Early bird ends: October 15, 2017
- Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1950764371875377/
Early bird ends Sunday, October 15th.
Tell your friends – tell everybody!
Saturday, October 28:
- 12:30pm: Check-in
- 12:45pm: Aesthetic & Culture: Making shit look easy
- 2:30pm: Rhythms & Polyrhythms: Head, shoulders, knees, and toes (layered rhythms)
Sunday, October 29:
- 12:30pm:: Check-in
- 12:45pm: Musicality: Storytelling
- 2:30pm: Solo Dancing: Getting into character
Please arrive on time! To be respectful to both Cierra’s time and that of your fellow class members, you will not be able to join the class if you are more than 15 minutes late without special instructor approval.
There were several other topics that came very close to selection in the voting:
- Rhythms & Polyrhythms: Staccato v legato (isolations v blended movement)
- Solo Dancing: Building a solo dance (great for new solo dancer or those who struggle)
- Musicality: Anticipating music
- Aesthetic & Culture: Relaxed and cozy lag
I would recommend getting a small group of 4 together who share your interest to share a private lesson with Cierra that weekend to further explore these topics (or other ones). Plus, you’ll benefit from more focused attention.
Cierra is known for being a quirky, musical, and emotional dancer. As a child, she was never able to stop moving and became obsessed with Blues dancing after discovering it. Her love of blues comes from her relationship with her grandfather and the reconnection Cierra feels to her heritage while dancing the blues. Cierra loves to bring that history, culture, and context, into her own and her student’s dancing by challenging their dancing in ways beyond just movement. Cierra has only recently started competing and has been placing in open competitions and is excited to be a new competitor in the All-star Division. Recently, she took first at Mile High Blues in the all-star Lead and Follow Contest. She also organizes Denver’s weekly local venue called Tuesday Blues and co-organizes Denver’s monthly event called Toska. You can read Cierra’s thoughts on the Toska blues blog. Cierra is excited to be sharing her passion for dance and culture with the community.
Party Fitness Studio (4659 Mission Gorge Pl, San Diego, CA 92120) is located just minutes from the I-8 freeway and San Diego State University.
As usual, we ask that you respect the space. Please make sure your shoes are non-marking and CLEAN so that you do not bring in debris from outside and mark the lovely floors! No spiked/narrow heels, please. Also, there is no food allowed inside, but we will set up our snacks and water station just outside the door so that you can cool off while you refuel.
Etiquette / Code of Conduct
In order to ensure that this event is safe, comfortable, and fun for everybody, please take a moment to read our etiquette page. By attending any Blue Note event, you acknowledge that you have read, understand, and agree to abide by our Code of Conduct / Grievance Policy.
Terms & Conditions
Full Terms & Conditions.
Because of the size and nature of the event, we will not be able to refund registration fees if you are unable to attend. If you pay and are unable to make the event, you may transfer your registration to someone else.